Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Glenn Scott

   I can't say I don't know much about Glenn Scott. In about 1995 or so I answered an ad in a local paper for someone wanting a keyboard player. They would provide the keyboard. He didn't live too far away, so I checked it out. Very friendly guy, we played a bit---he on his stand up drum kit, me fiddling with his advanced synthesizer set up. At that point in time I wasn't ready to play music with other people, and I told him so. He didn't seem to mind that I wasn't an expert on keyboards, in fact he pressed a bit for me to join his group, but I reluctantly turned him down. He gave me a copy of his demo tape as I left.
   It's pretty simple music. Tribal drumming and vocals by Glenn Scott, simple keyboard lines by his then partner Greg Lawrence (who had died of complications from AIDS)---hence his auditions for new keyboard players. Lyrically, it's more social commentary coming from a punk point of view, even though the music isn't punk. Other than my experience in auditioning, I don't know anything else about him. No real mentions online. I like the music---it's very rhythmic and a little dark, with some emotional pleas for understanding. Sensitive electronic music rather than aggro.
   This is what it says on the demo tape:

   "World beat meets electronic Joy Division. Side A was recorded in April, '93, live off the floor at Glenns place. He plays non-traditional drums and sings his darkly humorous songs. Greg sings backup, plays synths and an old Korg for rhythmic sounds. No sequencers here.
   Side B has some of Glenn's electronic pieces that play with his experimental films and slides as a prelude to the live set on side A.
   A definitely different experience."

   Here are two tracks from the tape: "Secret Club" and "Victims Too".

Secret Club:
http://soundowl.com/track/662m/glenn-scott-secret-club
Or on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAIxD_rHs3s

Victims Too:
http://soundowl.com/track/662p/glenn-scott-victims-too
Or on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ubu7oZt7ec

No comments:

Post a Comment