Friday, October 11, 2013

Tone Deaf

   Tone Deaf, ah yes, the legendary metal band from Spring, Texas. What? You've never heard of them? But I have their tape and everything! Well, I shouldn't make fun. They (he) seem like nice lads (lad). They just didn't have the money or know-how to make their tape sound any good. The tape I have, recorded in 1990, has remarkably bad audio quality. The 11 songs aren't that great anyway, so why would I post it? The fact that Oatmeal, the guy behind Tone Deaf, would actually release and sell this demo tape for money. I mean, underground demo tapes aren't known for pristine audio quality, which is fine, but this is so muffled that you can barely make anything out, and that's AFTER I increased the volume in Audacity. Anyway, the song is called "God Skull", and I have no idea what's it about. It's fascinating in its way. Other song titles include "Death Squad", "Forgiveness Song", "Soon, My Love", "Oatmeal's Hairdo", "Dudley The Happy Dinosaur Goes West", and the title song, "Mild Concussion", so I don't think he takes it all so seriously and neither should we.
   Oatmeal notes on the tape cover: "All the crappy music on Mild Concussion was recorded haphazardly on my '79 reel to reel 4-track. I used home utensils and a cookie canister and Microphone case for drums (bet you couldn't tell!)."
   Maybe this is a noise/art project disguised as crappy metal? Listen and learn.
   Listen or download:

http://soundowl.com/track/64sl/tone-deaf-god-skull

Or on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8ulgXx5Ig

No comments:

Post a Comment